Welcome to Jing Shi Research Group
Our group works on novel physical phenomena in nanoscale devices and heterostructures arising from complex interactions such as spin-orbit coupling and exchange interaction at the interfaces. The phenomena we are interested in include the topological spin Seebeck effect in topological insulator/magnetic insulator heterostructures, quantum anomalous Hall effect in graphene and topological insulator surface states, spin current transport in ferro-, ferri-, and antiferro-magnetic insulators. We closely collaborate with other researchers in the DOE-funded Energy Frontier Research Center (EFRC) on Spins and Heat in Nanoscale Electronic Systems (SHINES).
- "Spin current from sub-terahertz-generated antiferromagnetic magnons" by J.X. Li et al. appeared in Nature online on Jan. 27, 2020. Congratulations to the team! UCR Press Releases.
- "Highly efficient spin-orbit torque and switching of layered ferromagnetic Fe3GeTe2" by Mohammed Alghamdi, Mark Lohmann et al. was published in Nano Letters on June 10, 2019.
- "Spin Seebeck Effect from Antiferromagnetic Magnons and Critical Spin Fluctuations in Epitaxial FeF2 Films" by Junxue Li et al. was published in PRL on May 31, 2019.
- "Probing magnetism in insulating Cr2Ge2Te6 by induced anomalous Hall effect in Pt" by Mark Lohmann et al. was published in Nano Letters on March 1, 2019.
- Victor Ortiz received the 2019 APS Student Travel Award. Congratulations!
- "Systematic control of strain-induced perpendicular magnetic anisotropy in epitaxial europium and terbium iron garnet thin films" by Victor Ortiz and Mohammed Aldosary et al. was published in APL Materials on Dec. 27, 2018.
- "Role of dimensional crossover on spin-orbit torque efficiency in magnetic insulator thin films" by Qiming Shao et al. was published in Nature Communications on Sept. 6, 2018.
- Welcome Qiming Shao, a graduate student from Prof. Kang Wang's group at UCLA, to join our group for doing a 3-month long collaborative research.
- Congratulations to Mohammed Aldosary on receiving "The Robert T. Poe Memorial Scholarship Award" for outstanding Ph.D. graduate student in June 2018!
- "Dirac surface state-modulated spin dynamics in a ferrimagnetic insulator at room temperature" by Chi Tang, Qi Song et al. was published in Science Advances on June 1, 2018.
- "Effect of Distance on Photoluminescence Quenching and Proximity Induced Spin−Orbit Coupling in Graphene/WSe2 Heterostructures" by Bowen Yang et al. was published in Nano Letters on June 1, 2018.
- "Pressure-induced spin reorientation transition in layered ferromagnetic insulator Cr2Ge2Te6" by Zhisheng Lin et al. was published in Phys. Rev. Mater. on May 25, 2018.